The 360 Splurge is where you ask the questions and we'll answer them in our reviews!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog in

Share | 

Official Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare Thread

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: Official Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare Thread   Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:24 am

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
Developer: Infinity Ward
Publisher: Activision

There are three types of gamers out there. The type that follow a franchise blindly and the type that follow a development studio's output blindly. And then there are the rest. The Call of Duty series has gotten itself a reputation that basically appeals to the first two groups of gamers. Fire up Call of Duty 1 or 2 (forget 3), and you can basically play safe in the knowledge that you will be fighting a videogame representation of a war, against overwhelming odds. Against an enemy that is fearsome and unrelenting. It takes a special game to raise my heartbeat in a videogame. And that is what happened when I played CoD 1 & 2. And that is what I expect to happen when I fire up CoD 4.

As I am sure you know by now, Call of Duty has left behind the World War II setting behind. So no more M1 Garand semi-automatic gun. Away with the Browning Automatic Rifle. And no more PPSh, which for its time had an amazing 72 round clip, but you need more firepower against the forces of evil. In come the M203 grenade launchers, FGM-148 javelin portable anti-tank guided missile and the awesome AH-1 Super Cobra Helicopter to help rid the world of the mujhadeen, hezbollah and the taliban. Which brings about an interesting question. I think that we are all agreed that the link between videogame violence and real-life violence is for the most part a tabloid exageration, looking for a scapegoat to accept responsibility for individuals that are already disturbed.
But is there a link between entertainment and associations? Think of it this way. In films and TV, muslim terrorists seem to be the villains of choice at te moment. And it looks like Call of Duty 4 is going to continue that tradition. But maybe I am just over-reacting. After all, this is just a game and if you have offensive prejudices, a game is not needed to reinforce them.

But getting back to the point. After a break from the Call of Duty games, Infinity Ward is back at the helm, developing this game and giving us their impression of modern warfare. As is a Call of Duty tradition, you are placed in the shoes of different soldiers from different countries all fighting the war against terror. Prepare yourself for the most decadent way of killing your enemies with the best modern weapons available. I suppose it goes without saying that this has the potential to be the most satisfying FPS in single-player mode so far. Do yourself a favour, play it on the hardest difficulty setting from the beginning and enjoy modern warfare from the comfort of your sofa. You will not regret it.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Official Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare Thread   Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:26 am

I HAD THE BETA AND THOUGHT WHAT A LOAD OF RUUBISH.
Back to top Go down
Sasquatch

PostSubject: Re: Official Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare Thread   Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:04 am

I haven't got the game (or beta, if you want to be pedantic about it) but I intend to buy it based on the challenge of COD2 on Veteran, coupled with the return of said game's developers and the update to modern warfare
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Official Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare Thread   Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:23 am

Yes. That is why I will be buying it too. CoD2 on veteran was a sweet experience. I was off for about 3 days sick and I did not mind dying ad infinitum. Oh my word. Those evil, evil nazis. The amount of times that they killed me.

All I can say is, "YOU WANT SOME? 'AVE IT!"
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: cod4 beta   Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:15 am

I hate the beta takes to much space and aswell as that the levels so far are wquite boring.
Back to top Go down
Sasquatch

PostSubject: Re: Official Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare Thread   Sat Dec 01, 2007 5:49 am

I found this game had some great moments - the entire flashback level is a work of genius! Having foes stroll by *this* close to you is one of the tensest moments I've had in a game for a long, long time... I find the (seemingly infinitely) spawning enemies irritating though and this is just on Regular! It was really apparent during the clearance of the TV station and The Bog level.

The multiplayer is much more appealing than that of Halo 3, before taking all the challenges and the unlockable customisation of weapons and classes into account.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Official Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare Thread   Sat Dec 01, 2007 6:28 am

Ive , not had much time for my 360 recently . well on saying that i sold all my games but 1 but im looking fordward to get call of duty 4 and the new bike game thats a "wicked" demo on marketplace . So , ithink ill be getting cod4 in less than 3 weeks.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Official Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare Thread   Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:39 am

mufc.pimp.07 wrote:
Ive , not had much time for my 360 recently . well on saying that i sold all my games but 1 but im looking fordward to get call of duty 4 and the new bike game thats a "wicked" demo on marketplace . So , ithink ill be getting cod4 in less than 3 weeks.
Why get it if you said you "hate" it?

I don't like it that much but am going to try and get back into it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Call of duty 4   Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:53 pm

Well , you see marky the demo beta was absaloute rubbish and everyone says it is brilliant and aswell as that call of duty 3 was amazing so i though id get the game . I got it today and well ive not been on xbox live with it yet beacuse ive been on it downstairs whilst the work men finish up in my room . And im pretty not happy with no vehicles but at the end of the day it dosent really matter weather vehicles or none . And today ive been on story single player mode and ive got to see its like your there . "graphics amazing " and especially the boat at the begginging after training thats brilliant . So as i say after the work men finish in my room then i will be back on xbox live.

Xbox live name : XI MANUNITED IX
by the way i also got accasins creed the other day " amazing "
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Official Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare Thread   Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:53 pm

I really didn't understand a word of that to be honest. I don't mean to be rude, but are you english?
Back to top Go down
Goingslow

PostSubject: Re: Official Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare Thread   Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:23 am

I have this now and to be honest am finding the online to be more fun than the campaign. The only issue do far, and I'm not sure if his is because i've not played a cod game before, is there seems to be a lack of information telling me what all the online settings are.

I did find it a little unfair at first going up against guys that were a much higher rank than me, as they had already many of the upgrades and perks so no sooner had I seen them I was lying on the deck!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://goingslow.blogspot.com/

PostSubject: COD4   Thu Dec 13, 2007 4:46 am

I was bad at first but then i got better and better at it so im quite a good rank now it goes upto 55 then it starts again up to 10 times its quite good especially at level 20 as soon as you get new weapons by doing challenges
Back to top Go down
Goingslow

PostSubject: Re: Official Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare Thread   Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:30 pm

So has anyone managed to do the last extra level when you are in the plane on veteran. I tried many times and failed miserably. One minute and that many terorists is so tough!!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Official Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare Thread   Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:04 pm

Watch this and be amazed. Some of these kids have just got far too much time on their hands.

Last edited by on Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Goingslow

PostSubject: Re: Official Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare Thread   Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:15 pm

I'm trying again, flashbangs at the ready!!
Back to top Go down
tomt207

PostSubject: Re: Official Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare Thread   Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:55 am

in my opinion the game is only good on live so i would reccomend it but dont be 2 suprised when you complete it on hard in like 8 hours!!

PostSubject: Re: Official Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare Thread   

Back to top Go down

Official Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare Thread
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1