The 360 Splurge is where you ask the questions and we'll answer them in our reviews!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog in

Share | 

Official Iron Man: The video game Thread

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: Official Iron Man: The video game Thread   Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:13 pm

Iron Man
Developer: Sega
Publisher: Sega

For the uninitiated, there may have been a slight superhero movie overload in recent years. Mixed in with surprises like Hellboy, Batman Begins and The Fantastic Four, we have had to endure awful tripe like Spiderman 1 & 3, Superman Returns and Daredevil. Excluding Hellboy from that list, it seems that we have exhausted the top tier of comic book properties and are now getting treated to what are lesser known superheroes. And the first of a new wave of superheroes to get the silver screen (and small screen) treatment is billionaire inventor Mr Anthony Edward Stark, aka the golden warrior, aka Iron Man. Regardless of what sort of origin they provide us with in the film and game, you'll find that Mr Stark is a weapons manufacturer that gets kidnapped and gets mortally wounded. He somehow manages to build a new contraption that keeps his heart beating in the form of an exo-skeleton, or an Ironman suit. Notice the light in Robert Downey Jr's chest? He needs that to live.

But trying to give you a feel for the game is a little difficult. What I can tell you is that the Iron Man suit goes through several iterations/versions in the film and presumably in the game. As in real life, the Ironman suit Mk 1 is a pile of old tosh. Moves clunky, looks dated, 2 litres per gallon and no air conditioning.

But that is only the first suit. And the Ironman suit becomes really more like an Apple product. Think iRonman. Thinner, lighter and even more expensive. With a new version every 6 months. One thing that we can say without any hesitation is that the Ironman suit allows the wearer to become a one man weapon of mass destruction. Flight, augmented strength, propulsion beams, bluetooth. This suit has it all. And thankfully, we are getting this game courtesy of Sega. Which means that at the very least, it will be competent in terms of controls. If we're lucky it will even be fun.

Looking at Ironman in his full pomp, you can't help but think that he has a carbon footprint that is just unbelievable. But he is doing it for the good of the people. There are certain evils that can only be met with the sort of firepower that even the US Army does not have. All that I can hope for is that this film will retain the trademark humour and contradictions of Mr Stark. I want to see the conflicted, reluctant, alcoholic, playboy billionaire who saves the world because it makes it easier to get the ladies. Personally speaking, I have high hopes for the film. Let's hope that the game is more like Spiderman 2 than Spiderman 3. If that is the case, we'll be onto a real winner.

Let's save the world. Or as Stan Lee used to say, Excelsior.
Back to top Go down
shady

PostSubject: Official Iron Man: The video game Thread   Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:45 am

I'll probably love this game as I've been reading Marvel Comics since I was a lil' nipper, and from what I've seen so far, this game doesn't look too bad, as far as superhero games go.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://chat.n.tonez.peperonity.com

Official Iron Man: The video game Thread
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1